When: March 25, 2017
Where: Love Park in The Heights - 1000 W. 12th St. (77008)
Time: 10:00AM - 2:00PM
The Heights Kids' Day of Music is a music festival all about bringing local music to our Heights community families. 100% Local Music. 100% Fun. Activities include a main stage with performances by local bands every 40 minutes; a secondary stage will showcase local businesses and non-profits that bring music to our community; an instrument "petting zoo" will allow kids to get an up-close look at band and orchestra instruments; and a "singing station" will have opera singers on hand so festival goers can hear the different singing voices and learn about what singing in an opera group is all about.
Come spend a wonderful spring day with friends and neighbors and support your community!
The Heights Kids' Day of Music is all about bringing music with Houston roots to the families in our community. There are plenty of kids festivals but none are all about the music. We want to support local musicians as well as open the ears of our young ones to the music of the Bayou City in a fun, family-friendly environment.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT HKDM
There will be six featured acts on our main stage, each performing 25 minutes each. Music styles range from African dance to pure kids' music to "Texas" music. All of the performers on our main stage have Houston roots. The goal is to highlight some of the amazing talent we have in Houston and to give families the opportunity to hear high-quality music in a family-friendly environment.
The secondary stage will feature local businesses and non-profits that will showcase musical performances, classes, and educational demonstrations all centered on music and the arts.
THE INSTRUMENT PETTING ZOO
The Instrument Petting Zoo gives attendees a chance to have an up-close look at string, brass, woodwind, and percussion musical instruments. Attendees will have the opportunity to play some of the instruments under the supervision of musicians from area schools.
Petting Zoo Goals
- To provide children (and adults) the opportunity to explore the various families of musical instruments
- To provide hands-on opportunities to touch, feel, and play string, wind, brass, and percussion instruments
Petting Zoo Outcomes
- Participants learn to identify the family to which a given instrument belongs
- Children learn the proper way to hold and play a musical instrument
- Young children delight in having a musical instrument respond to their attempts to play it
- Adults who have not played an instrument since high school discover that the ability to make beautiful sound from the instrument is still present
- Both children and adults often seek further instruction or lessons
- Adults often begin practicing their instruments again and participate in local ensembles
OPERA IN THE HEIGHTS SINGING STATION
The Opera in The Heights Singing Station is similar to the Houston Pride Band Instrument Petting Zoo but gives attendees a chance to meet opera singers and hear the different singing voices and understand what other skills singers use in their performances. Attendees will have the opportunity to try out their singing voices with singers from Opera in The Heights.
GETTING TO HKDM & PARKING
Love Park is located at 1000 W. 12th St. There will be limited parking on the streets surrounding the park so we encourage all attendees to take advantage of the various alternative transportation available. We will have a bike corral - see below for details and visit our GETTING HERE page.
If you can, bike to the HKDM. Love Park is just a short block away from the MKT Hike and Bike Trail and we will have a bike corral available for you to park your bike. Blue Line Bike Lab on White Oak has generously donated a bike helmet that will be given away as part of a raffle. Anyone who bikes to the HKDM and utilizes our bike valet may enter to win the helmet. Check in at the Bike Valet to enter.
See our GETTING HERE page for places to park. DO NOT PARK ILLEGALLY on the streets surrounding Love Park! You will be ticketed and towed. Please make sure you observe all parking signs.
If you need handicap parking, please use the North parking lot of Love Park located at 13th St. and Alexander St.
WHAT TO BRING / WHAT *NOT* TO BRING
WHAT TO BRING
The Heights Kids' Day of Music is a perfect venue for a blanket or chairs to relax and listen to the music. This is a great opportunity to let your little ones run around or dance to the music. Bring a picnic or bring some cash to buy food from some of our favorite local eateries that will be featured at HKDM. The bands will have CDs and other merchandise for sale, and HKDM will be selling kids' t-shirts as well.
WHAT *NOT* TO BRING
- Dogs or other animals, unless they are service animals
- Bad attitudes
- Firearms (While we know we are in Texas where you have the right to carry, we would prefer firearms stay at home for this kids event. We are required to have security at the event so there will be several police officers onsite for any issues that may arise, and use of firearms is prohibited in the City of Houston parks.)